Topic: Man-pages missing?

Hi!

It seems man-page support has been broken in the last few versions of Absolute (14.12 and 14.2). The man-pages seem to missing for most packages. Those that do exist tend to come from packages compiled after install (like the multimedia packages), my custom-built packages and 3rd party packages (like wine).

What is strange is that, for example, a "cat" of /var/log/packages/rsync-3.1.2-x86_64-1 shows "usr/man/man1/rsync.1.gz", but the man-page file itself is nowhere to be found on the system.

Are they missing by omission or commission?

Okey

Re: Man-pages missing?

Okey, how does your manpath look?

echo $MANPATH
/usr/local/man:/usr/man:/usr/lib/java/man
~ Some fragrance always lingers in the hand that gives roses ~

3 (edited by Okech 2016-10-11 04:15:44)

echo $MANPATH returns:

/usr/local/man:/usr/man:/usr/lib64/java/man:/usr/local/share/man:/data/sld/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/doc/man

I do not believe it is a MANPATH issue. The actual manual files simply do (did!) not exist on the hard drive. See my previous comment regarding rsync. I checked and there is no "/usr/man/man1/mv.1.gz" either (or any man files for coreutils as a whole). I decided to look a bit further into this.

I had the same man-page problem with 14.12, on multiple machines, and "solved" it then by reinstalling most packages from the online repositories. So, I decided to reinstall coreutils and rsync packages from the Absolute-current repository, and voila, all the man-pages from those 2 package are available!

So, I wonder if there is some issue with the packages on the installation ISO, or glitch in the installation routine?

Whatever's wrong you corrected your situation.

As I'm sure Pual gives these a glance, he'll pull what's relevant and quietly move on.

Thanks for the update.

~ Some fragrance always lingers in the hand that gives roses ~