Topic: Desktop icons

How can I select a different one?

Re: Desktop icons

You need to install  lxappearance. It is available in slackbuilds.org and you can install it using two methods.
a. slapt-src --install lxappearance
b. Download the slackbuild , build , and install it with installpkg lxappearance....tgz

Thank you.

Thank you but unfortunately slapt-rc wasn't recognised.

Slackbuild.org has lxappearance-0,6.2.tz
However I converted it to a tgz file using https://convertio.co/tar.xz-tgz
Compiling it as suggested produced:

WARNING: Package has not been create with 'makepkg' followed by:
Package  lxappearance-0,6.2.tgz installed.

I assumed that a binary would appear either at /usr/bin or /usr/bin/local but I cannot find one.
Can you tell me what I have missed?

5 (edited by kestes 2017-01-13 09:39:19)

slapt-src is equivalent to slapt-get but it reads slackbuilds.org not the absolute repository.
On my Absolute 14.2 installation i downloaded from https://software.jaos.org/#slapt-src. There are slackware packages for slackware 32 & 64 bit.
once i dowloaded i installed as root using the command installpkg srapt-src...tgz
In /etc/slapt-get/slapt-srcrc file changed the source to SOURCE=https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/ and run slapt-src -u from the terminal.Then searched for the lxappearance package
slapt-src --search lxappearance
and installed what was found
slapt-src --install lxappearance
In order to avoid typping slapt-src --search or --install i added this lines in my  ~/.bashrc file
alias se="sudo slapt-get --search"  ( for slapt-get --search i type se )
alias in="sudo slapt-get --install"     ( for slapt-get --install i type in )
alias sse="slapt-src --search"          ( for slapt-src --search i type sse )
alias sin="slapt-src --install"             ( for slapt-get --install i type sin )

Slacbuilds are files which a user makes them executable to build a package from source.
Make a directory in your /home ( i have named mine as builds )
Go to the slackbuilds.org page search for the desired package
If the package has any dependences start with them lxappearance doesn't)
Download the slackbuild and place it in the builds folder
Extract it  ( -tar -xvf lxappearance.tar.gz .this command will create a folder named lxappearance and inside it will extract everithing fron lxappearance.tar.gz )
Download the source ( lxappearance-0.6.2.tar.xz ) and place it in /builds/lxappearance.
Enter /build/lxappearance/ an make the slackbuild executable  ( chmod +x lxappearance.SlackBuild )
Become root ( su -l ) and enter the /builds/lxappearance folder.
Build the package    ( ./lxappearance.SlackBuild )
The created package is in /tmp directory.
As root go to /tmp ( cd /tmp) and install the package using installpkg ( installpkg lxappearance ......tgz )

Use the whereis command to find the location of the installed package. ( whereis lxappearance )
if installed correctly
whereis lxappearance
lxappearance: /usr/bin/lxappearance /usr/include/lxappearance /usr/share/lxappearance /usr/man/man1/lxappearance.1.gz
Or
as root update the database slocate uses ( updatedb ) and run  ( locate lxappearance ) to fiind all the files that their name contains the word lxappearance.