absolutelinux.org
October 23, 2014, 04:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 14.10 released, 08/27/2014

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Link  (Read 1291 times)
1joneerickson

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:11:10 AM »

I went to /B [second HD] and dropped/dragged It onto my Decktop,  But instead of a link to /B, I got a new Folder /Root/Desktop/B,  which was a Folder on my first HD.
now most Distro's allow you to Right click on the Desktop, and  under new, a menu lets you make new link to a Device.
Now Absolute appears to be different,  but I can't find the method of making links in the Help Files.

?Any one have a Idea?
gersen
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »

I'm probably not going to be much help here. I'm guessing you're using pcmanfm for your filer, and I know little or nothing about it, except that I use it to open auto-mounted devices.

I use the rox filer in preference, have done for years, it has too many options for me to give up. Dragging anything onto the rox pinboard (desktop) just creates a link there without the ugly curly arrow. To make a link "proper" from an item in a folder to anywhere else other than the desktop, you have the right click menu method. You may like to try rox if you haven't already, it's worth a look.

Perhaps someone with experience of pcmanfm can chirp in here and tell us if a desktop link is possible.

CafeRay

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »

I have the same problem.  I am multi-booting with WinXP and several Linux trials.

I do not keep my data files mixed with the operating systems.
My documents, images, media files, CAD files, etc. are all kept on a DATA drive which has to be NTFS so it can be accessed by any OS.
In Windows, I have desktop links to various folders on my DATA drive, but I have been unable to create such desktop links in LINUX.
1joneerickson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »

Am perfectly willing to use ROX,  if I could find and open it.  ?Any way to make ROX the Default under Absolute?
gersen
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:43:44 AM »

To try rox to see if you like it, open a folder in pcman, on the top line, go to edit-preferences-desktop and untick the Manage the desktop and show file icons option. That takes pcmanfm off the desktop, you can always go back if you want by reticking the option.

Start rox from a terminal as    rox -p PIN

You should now be running rox. To get a nice picture on your desktop, right click on your rox desktop home foder, choose backdrop then drag one of your pictures in, say from /usr/share/wallpapers.

If you prefer rox as default then edit the beginning of your .icewm/startup file as here

#!/bin/sh
rox -p PIN &
#pcmanfm&

notice it just means un-commenting the rox startup and commenting out the pcman startup commands.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:50:23 AM by gersen » Logged
arfab

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 04:35:11 AM »

why don't you create a sym-link to your other disk in your desktop folder?

Open a Terminal,

cd ~/Desktop/
ln -s /B Bdisk

This will create a link on your in your /home/yourname/Desktop folder that will show up as whatever you called it.

The format for the link command is:
ln means create link
-s means symbolic, which means create a new "link file" rather than duplicating the position on the disk.
the next word is the destination (your other disk) and then the next is the name you wish to call the link.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: