absolutelinux.org
October 31, 2014, 02:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 14.10 released, 08/27/2014

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: libjpeg.so.8  (Read 3498 times)
B4Time

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:44:01 AM »

Install went fine.Updated rebooted and it will not boot.I keep getting this error: 

c/X11/gdm/Xsession: setup done, will execute:  /user/bin/ssh -agent -- icewm-session
icewm-session: error while loading shared libraries:   libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any one know how to fix this.I can get to a command prompt through fail safe terminal but have no idea what to do with it.

I had this OS running good on this old p3 before the latest updates.It is just a back up in case the main box goes down plus I like to play.I boot it up from time to time to update it.the last updates got me some how.It has not been booted for a while so there were quite a few.
Indy452

(O\_!_/O)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »

Did you run Gslapt to update it? 

If you did this happened to me too... Sorta ticked me off.

I had to download the new version and do a fresh install that way.  I don't have time to tinker on fixing little problems like that when they happen....just be sure to backup before you do anything..

They must find it difficult.........
Those who have taken authority as the truth,
rather than the truth as the authority.
-Gerald Massey
B4Time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:02:09 AM »

Tried that is says no updates.I need to find this file on the web and download it into it's right location I think.Either that or find a way to revert back to what the system was before the updates.I know how to do neither lol.I will down load a new copy if I have to but I think I need to try something else for a while.I installed this 3 times to make sure I could reproduce it. lol.now I'll try something else to make sure it is not the cpu.It is old.First I'm going to read some to see if I can fix it.I would really hate to loose it as my os on my back up pc.I get gun shy about loading the same os again after I get a problem like this.It works real well on the old cpu  for what I would need it to do in a pinch.
linus72

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »

it may be just a symlink issue

go onto /usr/lib as root using pcmanfm or rox file managers

look for libjpeg.so
if its are there make a symlink named "libjpeg.so.8"

Code:
ln -s libjpeg.so.8 libjpeg.so

the libjpeg.so should be linking to a "libjpeg.so.8.0.8"

doing "slackpkg search libjpeg" inmy slackware setup gets

Code:
[  upgrade  ] - aaa_elflibs-13.0-i486-2 --> aaa_elflibs-13.013-i486-4
[ installed ] - jre-6u19-i586-1
[  upgrade  ] - libjpeg-v8-i486-1 --> libjpeg-v8a-i486-1
[uninstalled] - jdk-6u19-i586-1

so, it is a part of those pkgs

reinstall any of those pkgs if neccessary
B4Time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 04:49:20 AM »

ok I tried all that,nothing changed.I wasted enough time on this for now.I was wondering anyone know of another distro for old pc's.It has to work what ever it is.I want to make sure this pc is working properly.Thanks for your help all.It was a good run there while it lasted.
Indy452

(O\_!_/O)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »

ok I tried all that,nothing changed.I wasted enough time on this for now.I was wondering anyone know of another distro for old pc's.It has to work what ever it is.I want to make sure this pc is working properly.Thanks for your help all.It was a good run there while it lasted.

You could give AntiX a try..http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page

Or Slitaz...http://www.slitaz.org/

Or Tiny me..http://tinymelinux.com/doku.php

Or just revert back to an older version of Absolute....my favorite has been 13.4 
http://ftp://ftp.absolutelinux.org/

They must find it difficult.........
Those who have taken authority as the truth,
rather than the truth as the authority.
-Gerald Massey
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: